Thursday, May 23, 2013

Thinking


Hello,

We did have a bit of a storm during the night Sunday. I was so tired I slept through most of it after I closed the windows. I was aware sometime in the night that there was no power. It is amazing how much light there is both inside and outside. It was like my childhood when all lights were off at night. Now there is an abundance of street lights outside. Inside there is also light in the bedroom because of the clock and the phone. Then there is the phone in the computer room where the base unit causes quite a glow. In the kitchen the stove, microwave, and phone all contribute their share of light. Who needs nightlights when we seem to be ablaze?

In the morning the power was still off. That meant no lights, no phone, no internet, and no working stove even if it is gas. That meant I was enveloped in a cocoon of silence. No working refrigerator/freezer so I thought about what I wanted to get out and did not loiter with the door open.  My life would certainly change without this power source. Even though I grew up without many of the things I now depend on, I am having difficulty imagining living that way for an extended period of time.

At least I like to read and the sun was shining in the window giving me power to read. I still have a watch and two clocks that operate with a battery so I knew what time it was. I learned how to open the garage door without the aid of the power opener.

There was power at work otherwise I could hardly have functioned there. I am often using the computer. Is electricity the backbone of our lives at home and away?

Paula

No comments: