Saturday, November 24, 2012

Weather


Hello,

Mid-westerners are known for talking about the weather, but maybe that is because it is something most of us agree about. Now I can safely say it is cold outside. In spite of that cold the rutabaga leaves are still alive. I covered some of them that are next to the Swiss chard. The chard was ok as well, but I decided to cut it close to the ground as I thought the daytime temperature might even be difficult for it to survive. It looked so good that I did not want to have it freeze. We will eat it tonight.

The weather certainly does change our lives. I did not hang out clothes today, but used the dryer instead. I certainly get less exercise by letting the equipment do the job. The wool socks still get hung up, but only on the indoor rack that once belonged to my mother. It is these practical things that I am so glad to have inherited. I also have mom’s ironing board, but I have had that all my life away from home as mom had gotten an adjustable new fangled one. This one’s height is set. It is also more difficult to collapse as it has developed some tough joints. Old age affects many things. So weather changes the laundry world for me.

Even thought the temperature, according to the thermometer, in the house has not changed I must dress more warmly. This house seems to be well insulated, but there is still some sense of coolness around the edges. I have not yet worn a wool sweater, but wool socks are on and at least two layers of long sleeves.

Leroy did not ride the bike today. I did not urge him too even though I commented that there was no wind. I will walk to church tonight or rather this afternoon at 4:00. I will certainly dress for winter, but at least walking does not create a noticeable breeze. Leroy will come there after work so I will ride home in the car.

Unfortunately our humidifier now leaks. Fortunately it did not leak so much that water seeped below. Also fortunately we have the money to buy another unit, but I might try to wait for a sale on such a utilitarian item or will that be at the end of the dry season?

Paula

No comments: