Saturday, November 3, 2012

Celebration and Museum


Hello,

In the morning Leroy and I drove to the Ely Library. I know we should have ridden the bikes, but I did not think my ears could handle 26 miles of 40 degrees cold. It was a beautiful day outside. Because we arrived a little early for the ten years in the new building celebration, Leroy took the time and looked for his own books. With varying degrees of success, I have been getting books for him. I was so happy to relinquish the job since he knows which books he has read or which books he might like.

It was so great to visit with a number of old friends. We even found pictures of us and our kids from back in the former days of being a resident of this town. After finding all the books Leroy needed for a few days, 16 books that is, and visiting enough we headed back to Cedar Rapids to the African American museum.

We would recommend this as a destination. We certainly learned about the African American history in Iowa as well as some for all of North America. I was impressed with the number of things that they had available for children to touch, manipulate, and maneuver. If our children want to go somewhere when they visit at Christmas, I will certainly recommend this place. The building is not as majestic and noticeable as the place Leroy works, but it is well worth the time to go there. In fact we got tired and did not really do justice to the last part of it. We will have to go again.

After an afternoon nap Leroy was able to repair his bike, rake the leaves into an auspicious pile, dig up two amaryllis bulbs, and repair my clothes drying rack that had belonged to my mother. That rack is not an antique, but it is old and I use it quite a lot even though I would like a compact folding rack such as we had in Slovakia. I have a dryer here, but I still like to air dry some things.

I did not do as much, but I washed dishes, made bread, and potted two plants.

Paula

No comments: