Sunday, November 11, 2012

Learning


Hello,

Sometimes learning comes slowly or takes repeat experiences, but with regard to rain and walking to church we decided it was not a good bet. When we started talking about the issue the rain was light, but just as we were ready to leave the house it came down with enough noise that there was no mistaking its presence. The car it was. Then it was just a question of which one and who would drive. It was “my” car and I drove. That Leroy almost never gets behind the wheel any more. He even remarked, “I hope that the car would quit working so we could get one that is not a shift.”

I did not realize that it bothered him. I do know that he does not like to drive the Saturn because the shift is a bit tricky for some reason. I drive it most of the time so I do not find it so hard.

Because it was still raining after church and a meal out it was great to have the car. There was still enough walking distance that an umbrella was required and my lower legs were a bit damp.

The temperature went down while we were inside. Such changes in the weather cause one to be more on the alert. We still have rutabagas and Swiss chard growing nicely outside. I will pick the Swiss chard if it ever stops raining and maybe even cover it tonight as it is to be quite cold tomorrow morning. I have not grown rutabagas before, but I read that they can tolerate quite a lot of coldness. We ate a rutabaga leaf the other day and it was fine mild flavored. We have not tried the roots yet as it is my understanding that they needed as much growing time as we could allow them. Now they look so very healthy after barely tolerating the summer heat. I wish I had planted some kale at the same time. I remember picking it when there was snow on the ground. It is great to have those fresh greens from outside in the cold. It is almost like I am getting by with something that I should not.

Paula

No comments: