Monday, November 19, 2012

The Neighborhood


Hello,

Leroy came to choir practice from work last Wednesday. I asked him if he would walk his bike home with me when practice was finished. I was prepared to plead, but he readily agreed to do that.

It was a wonderful warm night. Unfortunately we could not walk as fast because of the bike, but it was pleasant so not an issue. When we got about a block from our house we came up to a policeman talking with two girls. They parted to let us through. I was pleased to see police in the neighborhood on foot. Seems to me that is a good presence in the area. However when I turned onto our street I saw the police car and another officer. Leroy proceeded up the street to the alley and the garage so he could put the bike away. As I walked up to the back door, I noticed that the downspout had been knocked off and I put that back. Another thing was that our light by the back door was on, but it is a motion light so that is possible for many reasons.

At the neighborhood meeting the following night we learned that gun shots had been fired about ½ a block away and the gun was found abandoned in the bushes by our house. So that explains some of that.

There is a police officer who always reports to the neighborhood meeting. In addition the new police chief was the guest speaker. It was good to meet him. His old beat was in Sarah and Stephen’s neighborhood.

Believe it or not Leroy and I are still comfortable on the streets. We keep alert, walk together, and greet people. It was interesting to me that the police office suggested that people should leave their cars and walk more just as we do. I believe I am taking back the streets. We are not out late, but this shooting was not late either. No one was hurt, so there is the possibility that someone was just fooling around with the gun.

I was almost afraid to relate this, because I wonder if Jen will be afraid to visit us. I would so like to have them come sometime. I also believe that even people in your neighborhoods have guns as they seem to be fairly common in this country. Who is to say what anyone might do with the weapon.

Paula

No comments: