Saturday, November 10, 2012

Battles and Victories


Hello,

I looked out the second story window in the back to see a black head coming around the curve of the tree trunk at my eye level. It quickly retreated only to come back again and reveal that it was a cat with a nice white spot on its chest. My landlord tells me that she believes cats will try to catch squirrels so I looked for a squirrel. Soon a large cawing black crow glided in landing a bit above and to the side of the cat. It fluttered its wings and announced loudly that something was not right. Before long another crow appeared landing on the opposite side, again a little above and to the side. As I watched the third crow joined the group as they almost circled this cat.

I noticed at that point, a squirrel about six feet below the cat. The cat moved fearlessly up the tree out on a thinner wobbly branch as it approached one of the crows. The crow looked for a while and moved off a little. All this time the crows are setting up quite a racket. In the meantime the squirrel inched farther up the tree, but did not really get close to the cat.

It seemed to be a standoff so I picked up my laundry basket and went out doors under them. They all looked at me, but stayed their course. Then I noticed that the cat had come lower in the tree, but there was still no interesting action so I went back to hanging up clothes. Bang! I heard, looked around, and spotted the cat slipping under our gate. Considering the loudness I think that cat had to have dropped from quite a distance.

On the victory side just wanted to let you know that the place Leroy works is going to be featured in a 30 minute documentary on Public TV. “Our documentary is going to premier on IPTV on Monday, Nov. 12 at 9:30 pm, and Sunday, Nov. 18 at 2:30 pm.” They also received a state award for a nonprofit’s outstanding contribution to the community and the state.

Paula

No comments: