Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Weather


Hello,

I thought I wanted it to stay cold until it warmed up so nicely today. It just felt good to be out hanging up clothes. All of garments even got dry although I was not sure when I brought them in if they were just cold or wet.

While I was out I heard a squirrel eating a walnut. I looked up in the walnut tree and there it was with its tail curled smartly up its back. With more looking I found that three friends had joined the first one. They were all on quite separated branches gnawing on their nut shell. I know that they did not get the nuts off the tree, but carried them there since there are no more nuts to be seen hanging from the branches except one nut that is so far out that even a nimble squirrel would be in danger of the breaking branch crashing to the ground if it tried to reach it.

I really have not seen the squirrels burying many nuts. I thought that was squirrel work, but I am still stepping on many rolling balls. Guess they figured it was fine to just leave them there and gather at will.

Our greens still look good out there. Some that we had not covered even perked up and looked ready to face the day.

It was suggested that I cover the tomatoes that we picked and they would ripen. They have indeed. I am treated to a steady supply of red beauties for my salad or to just plain eat. I am eating more now than I did earlier in the summer when they were on the vine. Those squirrels must have been feasting all along. So the cold weather is helping me in one ironic way. I am eating more of my homegrown tomatoes.

Paula

No comments: