Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Driving


Hello,

Last night as I left work I got into a car that had steamed up since I left it in the early afternoon. Why would that be? With certain conditions it happens with great regularity. I do not like to sit around and wait for the windows to clear. I do the unsafe things, turn on the fan on high, turn on the air conditioner at a comfortable temperature, turn the on the rear window defroster, run the windshield wiper in case it on the outside of the window, put it in gear, and leave looking out a small clear space at the bottom of the windshield. It has cleared some about a mile later, but then I start fiddling with the air circulation. Should it be inside or outside air? I feel virtuous for not trying to read the auto manual as I am driving.

Last night I noticed a car coming towards me and I could barely see the lights even thought the window seemed clear. As we approached each other I realized that there were patches of rather dense fog. That happened periodically until I got on the four lane highway.

It makes me realize that I might not want to drive home at 8:00 pm when I come out from work if there is ice, snow, or sleet to deal with. Perhaps I had better pack my toothbrush, spare underwear, and plan to spend the night if that is the case. There are generally many cars on the road even at that hour, but I do not really want to count on someone helping me if I should get into trouble. Oh, yes I would like to have as well some make-up or a way to clean my face. I really like to sleep in my pj’s. I do not have a simple life style. Do I have to pack half the house of an emergency overnight stay?

I still remember our refugee family coming into our home and all they had for the rest of their lives, not just over night, was a small suitcase each.

I am not sure I should be thankful for all this stuff, instead I should be thankful that people can manage with so little.

Paula

No comments: