Sunday, November 18, 2012

Surprises


Hello,

“Guess what!” Leroy said as he came in the door.

“I don’t know,” I wondered, “Did you find some rare book?”

“No, a girl from Slovakia was at the museum today,” he said, “She was at the Lyceum when we were there the second time. She did not remember you.”

“She must not have been a library user,” I responded trying not to feel a little hurt because it is always nice to think that one is important enough to be remembered by all.

“She has finished her medical Dr. degree in Slovakia and wants to complete that degree here at the U of Iowa. She needs to be here for some time before she can start. In that time she is going to work as an unpaid intern at the library with us.” Leroy told me. “She will be able to help with some of the translations and help me with the subject headings for Slovak books.”

I am looking forward to talking with her. We will certainly have to have her at our house for a meal just as the Slovaks were so generous to us, we can now return that favor even if it is to a different person.

On a different note, Miriam told me, “Andy’s Christmas cactus is just loaded with buds and mine does not have a single bud on it.”

I had been looking at mine at home as well as the one I took to the library. I did not see a single bud on either one. Then I began berating myself for not taking it to the school library where it always blooms happily. Just yesterday I found one tiny bud pod on mine at home and then today I sighted two more. So all is not a complete loss. It was looked so healthy as it enjoyed the outdoors, but who knows what it thinks of its indoor home. I do know that the library is a bit of a risk as it has a light on all night when I think it needs darkness some of the time. It also gets no direct sunlight, but a lot of artificial light. Do they like that? I do not know. I will do a bud search again Monday when I get to work.

Paula

No comments: