Saturday, July 1, 2017

Weeds

Hello,



Leroy was walking today so I went to the garden by myself this afternoon. I did not even post that I was going to be there. Often someone will come if I post it. I dressed to be in the sun, but was disappointed to see that the entire garden was in sun. I always like to look for that shady place. Instead I kept my back to the sun. I had on my hat that covers my neck as well as a long sleeved UV protection shirt. I had put sunscreen on my hands, but put gloves on at the garden. The only problem was that when I reached for weeds my wrists were exposed. The weeds pulled so nicely with the soil falling off as the roots exited the ground. So I stayed and filled two buckets before I quit. It was with great satisfaction that I looked up the row of Swiss and Rainbow chard when I was ready to go home. I could clearly see the result of my work. What satisfaction there is in that accomplishment!



I need to weed around the house, but I seem to go farther away all of the time. It is somewhat like being a tourist. Places farther away get visited first and home is missed. When we were in Slovakia a student asked what cities/towns in Slovakia we had visited. They were quite impressed as they had not been to most of them.



I also need to move some plants around, but do not like to do that in the heat. It had been wet, but now it is dry. At least I believe all of the small trees have been extracted. I do not like to have them develop root as it becomes a yearly task to cut them off.



I just read an article about how our convenience is making us unhealthy. Those who hunted and gathered to survive, continually worked their bodies in much different ways than we do. Hopefully my garden work is somewhere in the healthy territory besides just the food that is produced. At least I am not sitting all of that time. We need to be squatting, sitting on the floor, reaching high, and hanging from the trees to increase muscle and strength in all parts of our bodies.



Paula

No comments: