Tuesday, July 4, 2017

Race Day

Hello,



Leroy and I helped with the 8 K holiday race as it came by in the next neighborhood over. We went to pour water or hand out water. We got there a bit ahead of the suggested time of 7:30 for this race started at 8:00. We filled a table with cups of water that we needed to have balanced on our hands. Actually when the race started there were plenty of people to hand out water so I mostly kept passing on cups to those hands. There was some need to keep filling, but not so much as the return trip needed more. This street has an island in the middle making it the perfect place for helpers to stand. It also kept runners coming and going without getting tangled up.



I do not know how many people participated, but it was a nice big number. I was especially pleased to see all of the kids involved. A number of adults ran while pushing kids in strollers. It makes me feel good to see activity highlighted as a family affair.



The person who invited us to help also goes to our church. I suspect she invited the church to help because most of the people there were members of our church. Some of them also live in the neighborhood or like us just across the way.



There was a pot luck breakfast afterwards. Leroy and I had eaten at our usual time so I did not bring anything to share. I feel a tiny bit guilty because we stayed anyway as there was indeed plenty of food.



I am glad to see many runners in our neighborhood almost on a daily basis. Yesterday I saw a man running who was barefoot. That surprised me, especially considering the uneven sidewalk or the possibility of glass on it.



When we got home a guy was in front of our house working on his bike because his chain broke. Leroy was able to share some tools with him as did our downstairs friend.



This afternoon we will work with another neighbor at the community garden as she has some time today. Leroy has taken a long nap to fortify himself for some good garden work.



It was just a neighborly kind of day.



Paula

No comments: