Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Dentist

Hello,

Not all dentists are created equal. I have a crown that is falling apart or at least pieces of the porcelain are coming off. That happened for the third time a couple weeks ago. My dentist was on vacation. Since I did not have any pain, I let it go hoping for the best. It was the best. He commented, after looking at it, that I last saw him about this issue four years ago. He felt that it was still serviceable, ground some part of it down a little, charged nothing because it was such a short easy visit, and sent me on my way. I am grateful. Someday I will have to have a new crown and he is recommending gold as it is so sturdy that it should last for the rest of my life. “That sounds rich to me,” I said, “What does that cost?”

“It will be about the same cost as the porcelain. I would consider it because of the durability,” he said.

We then spent some time talking about the price of gold which is not usually in my repertoire of knowledge.

I told him that would be fine and inquired about the cost. After learning his estimate, I added, “We do not have dental insurance so we have been saving for dental expenses. I am happy to learn it is actually quite a lot less than I thought it might be.”

Since it is my very last tooth it will not be seen as even he has me open wider than I like to do so he could get a good look at it.  I once had a dentist tell me that I have a small mouth and it was hard to get to the back of my jaw. When I told that to a friend, he wondered who that quack was as he thought I had a big mouth.

I will have to send the dentist a personal thank you note for his great care that is not so expensive. I am also thinking that before we leave this place I will ask if he would do the new crown for me even if it has not fallen apart. Hopefully he would like the business.


Paula

No comments: