Sunday, July 16, 2017

Figuring retirement options


Hello,



I got a letter from the pension fund of the state of Iowa. Because I taught and work now for a municipality, I have money with them, although not a lot because I have only worked part of my adult and much of that time it was part time. I will be 70 in December so they want to know what I am going to do. The form was easy to fill out; in response I got a nice letter from them telling me what my options are. There are six things that I can choose among. The decision would be easier if the future were a known entity. If I live a long time and select one way I could make a lot more money than I ever put in, however nothing would go to my estate. Does anyone care about my estate? If death occurs the day after my first deposit then the money could go to my estate with a different possibility. Choices, choices!



I then contacted Social Security. At the moment I get half of Leroy’s monthly benefit because he applied and then suspended. I thought that would be it, however because I have not taken from my own account I will be receiving a raise in January when I start using my account. Who knew it could make that much difference? I will apply in September for that as it needs to be done, not too soon and not too far before my birthday.



All of this brings to the forefront of my mind and emotions, what are we going to do and where will we live. Those issues are much harder for me to come to a conclusion. I personally think all of our children should live in one place so we could move there with the expectation that at least one would remain in the area.



I think Leroy should become a repair man when he retires. He just took apart our water kettle after I begged him to do so. It seems to be working once again as it has in the past. Leroy tells me he has no idea what he is doing, but it seems to make a difference. Doesn’t that sound like a good fixer? Muddling around and not a clue what they are doing, but the end result is good.



Paula

No comments: