Saturday, July 22, 2017

Community Garden Work


Hello,



Leroy decided to tackle, more aggressively, the weeds in the community garden. Generally there has been more help available when needed, but perhaps some people moved. I know that some are injured and healing. Also the Monday evening time is only working for Leroy. I also have not been as dedicated as in the past. He rented a tiller last night. He even got a larger one than planned because he did not have to mix gas and oil which would have required a larger thought process and containers we did not have. The tiller was still small enough to fit in our car.



I walked to the garden and met him there. While I was waiting I started to pull some weeds. They came out quite nicely thanks to the previous night’s rain.



I helped Leroy get the tiller out of the car and he set to work almost immediately. Two problems were soon obvious. The weeds were still so large, in spite of mowing them, that they wrapped around the tines of the tiller. The ground was a bit wet for the tiller to handle easily. Leroy tilled, stopped to pulled off weeds, and wrestled with this machine until almost the entire garden that he wanted to tackle was wrenched around. I had pulled enough weeds that I took  newspaper, spread it out, and weighted it down with weeds. As I was doing that it started to sprinkle more than what I had noticed just a few minutes sooner. We scurried around and got the tiller back in the car. I climbed in also and was glad that I did, as the rain came down harder. We went back to the garage where the tiller resided a short/long time in the garage as we yanked, hacked, and sweet talked the tiller into giving up its hold on the weeds twined around it. Then we “stole” some gas from our downstairs friends. The tiller has to be returned clean and full of gas. I was a bit concerned that it might not be sparkly enough, but Leroy said the guy barely glanced at it before he refunded our deposit.



At least we feel better as some of the garden has been attended to.

Paula

No comments: