Wednesday, July 5, 2017

What does God ask of you?


Hello,



This morning I was watering some plants in the front of the house when a guy called across the street, “Ma’am!”



“Yes?” I responded.



“Can I use your bathroom?” he said as this tall husky guy lumbered closer to the edge of the pavement carrying a bag of cans that he had probably picked up to turn in for the refund.



I considered the request carefully. I often have to use the facilities

with a certain amount of urgency. So some sympathy there, however I felt a bit of fear of letting a complete stranger into my house. But I thought of the bible verse where Jesus says when you do it unto the least of one of these, you do it unto me. Is this Jesus?



All that took just a few seconds before I said, “There is a grocery store just four blocks away and they are open.”



“I can’t go there,” he said.



“I will ask my husband,” I informed him as multiple emotions raced through me.



When I got to our door I called to Leroy, “Leroy, there is a man outside who wants to use the bathroom,”



Leroy went out to talk with him. He also suggested the grocery store, to which the guy replied, “My mother died there and I can’t go there.”



“What about the gas station across the street,” Leroy then asked.



“I have been kicked out of there,” was the answer to that.



Leroy then said, “You may not use the bathroom.”



“Could you drive me to a place that is about a mile away?” this guy asked.



“I am not driving my car this morning,” Leroy replied and then walked away.



It is all well and good to talk about being good Christians, but what is required of you? It is one thing to give money impersonally, but quite another to be up close and connected in the same bubble of air with another human. That far off “them” becomes “you” with shape and form. It is easier to be Christian from afar.



Paula

No comments: