Sunday, July 2, 2017

Afternoon Off

Hello,

Leroy is taking the afternoon off. It had been over a week since he has had such. He is looking forward to the 4th since there is no work on that day. He will work tomorrow because he needs to make some hospital calls as well as write a sermon. Instead of doing something relaxing now he is trying to put back together a multi-tool that he carried on his bike. It came apart. He believes this happened because of the vibrations of the ride. Because the fit is so precise, it is not an easy puzzle to get it to fit in the small space that is allowed. He just said, with exasperation, “Every time I touch something it just falls apart before I can get the screw in.”

It is hard to listen to the groaning, moaning, and deep sighs. I want to say, “Just go buy a new one.”

I did in fact buy him a new one, but he has decided that he will keep one at his desk at the museum because he sometimes needs tools there. I thought I should just look for a small bag for him to keep these in. I even helpfully suggested a cosmetic bag, but he did not stop or look up. My job is to dash over, try to put the screw in, without letting anything slip out of place while he has it all precariously balanced between his fingers. So far each time, one tool or three washers fall on the table. It is these very things that try my patience and make marriage a bit of work.

Just now we got the second screw in. Hopefully it will hold together long enough to make the short trip to the museum. I will have to say that Leroy is more persistent than I am.

This morning in church Leroy skipped a section of the liturgy. When I questioned him I learned that his book (Each pastor has a three ring binder with just that service so they do not have to flip pages in the larger book.) was missing a page. I am relieved to learn that Leroy can still find his way if he has the good road map.


Paula

No comments: