Wednesday, July 19, 2017

If the Shoe Fits


Hello,



I have not often heard or used this idiom. I learned by looking on the Internet, the source of all good information, that it is unflattering. A thought popped into my mind this morning, “If the shoe does not fit do not wear it.”



I was thinking about a book I am reading, “Resisting Happiness” by Matthew Kelly. Thanks Helen! It seems to be related to the idea of trying to fit ourselves into something that is not our purpose, but just like trying to wear an attractive shoe we might try to get it to work. The results can be a painful pinch resulting in difficulties later. It can also be too loose and sloppy creating other problems.



It is not always easy for me to know just what I should do. Both in terms of what is best for me and what is best for the people around me.



I also thought about how I would say I am not a jealous or envious person. However, yesterday a patron at the library announced that they had won a ten day trip on the Mediterranean which included all expenses. Even though I vocally and enthusiastically congratulated this person, my first internal response was jealousy. We are paying thousands of dollars so we can do that very thing. It leaves me with a feeling of not being the best person that I could be. So I just had to admit that it was me and let it go. It can be hard to be positive for someone when they have gained the very thing I might like. How can the unwanted shoe fit?



Life is certainly a journey of feelings.



Paula

No comments: