Saturday, April 23, 2016

Tulips and Squirrels

Hello,

A half eaten tulip bulb was lying on the ground close to the place where we planted tulips just recently. A small hole was also noted. I got out the hot pepper and sprinkled it around the entire new tulip area, hoping to keep the four legged critters from snacking. At the rental house down the street, squirrels must not have such a close relationship. Last year I planted a number of tulips there. They are starting to bloom and look quite fine. In the front of our house there are still only two tulips growing. I had very carefully put the best blubs here where I could see and enjoy them. If squirrels like hot peppers it will be a problem of attracting rather than discouraging.

The antics of the squirrels can be quite entertaining. The problem is how to help them know where they buried their walnuts. There are three walnut trees quite close so they should not have run out of the supply. Too bad they do not have a way of planting a flag for a quick reference.

I took some winter/walking onions to the neighborhood meeting. I was pleased that people took them almost immediately. I will have to announce that I could give away bulbs later or just plain bring them to a meeting when I have them in hand. I am happy to report that the squirrels ignore the onions.

Unfortunately I do think the squirrels like tomatoes. Or something takes bites out of them too. Good thing they are cute giving them at least some positive thoughts coming their way.


Paula

No comments: