Wednesday, April 13, 2016

The Public

Hello,

Heard the phrase “dealing with the public”? Ever wonder just who the public is? Seems to me it is always someone other than me and the person who is talking. Maybe it is just some nameless someone out there. Usually when this term is used, at least around me, there is a negative connation in the air.

The other day I was at the grocery store. While checking out I was visiting just a little with my helper. Somehow she mentioned that the store had changed policy and had gotten many new customers. Because they do not bag your groceries, many of these new customers, who did not know how the store worked, had been yelling at her and calling her rude along with other putdowns. Why does “the public” feel so entitled? Why does it appear that the person standing there can make a difference or has had anything to do with policy? “I want to tell them I am really a nice person,” she commented. “At least there are a lot of nice people who are very kind. So it all balances out.”

I was happy to hear that positive attitude. So the public can be good and bad. I have a new resolve to show the best side of myself when interacting with someone whose work day is spent dealing with the public. I would imagine it helps when the public knows the person who is there for their assistance. Must be that small town/farm girl in me that knew you could expect to be treated as you treat others. Workers were neighbors, acquaintances, or friends. Perhaps there is the feeling that you had better shape up or you would be talked about. Gossip, even though a negative, is perhaps an effective method of social control.


Paula

No comments: