Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Listening to the radio

Hello,

I heard on the radio that pirates now attack computers demanding money from people/businesses before they can get back their data. Apparently it happens in the home area too. All I can think is that I must back up my stuff. One woman said that she left her flash drive in the computer so that was bad too. I would not do that, but it has been a long time since I backed up everything. I suppose it is now photos that are that more precious thing that could be locked down. If you get any emails with links do not follow them. I say that even as I think about how I pass on photos. A link is easy because you can do a large batch at once. The pirates are demanding thousands of dollars, although some have been able to bargain the amount down.

Who could have guessed that such a thing could happen? Pirates are on the seas. As was stated by an expert on these events, the internet is a very large place with lots of hiding places.

We have two large flash drives that will backup almost everything, but for some reason the one that is mine does not want to make a connection with the computer. The other works just fine. I will have to see if that talented Leroy can figure it out when he comes home, although I have a faint memory that I was the one who got it to work before hence it became mine. Grumble, grumble. I just now learned I was putting it in upside down! Can you imagine that? I will deal with that later as I need to go to work soon.

One positive thing for general people is that apparently they more frequently go after larger concerns, probably because they can get more money. Scams, pirates, identify theft, and what else? Good thing that I do not worry too much about those things. I guess they seem so remote. Or at least I worry about things I cannot control at all like why is Leroy so late?


Paula

No comments: