Monday, April 4, 2016

Spring Cleaning

Hello,

Yesterday was neighborhood clean up day. Students from Coe College and Mount Mercy got together along with neighbors to pick up trash in the boulevards. Work was also done on the community garden. Leroy participated, but I was not feeling well so I stayed home. Other years I have enjoyed doing this. Leroy even learned that one of our neighbors across the street has moved. She is still in the neighborhood, but farther away from us. I had noticed different people by her house, but thought it could be visitors. One thing about rental units no for sale sign goes up in the yard announcing new people will be coming.

In the garden they raked, shoveled up some areas, and planted. Three different types of onions went in as did some lettuce. Leroy tells me the oregano looks so large that we should divide it. The cilantro is also growing, but nothing needs to be done to that. The winter (or walking) onions are looking good. All from the gift of for four or five onions from my Ukraine neighbor in Chariton. I ate four and kept one for propagation. It has certainly been prolific. I was hoping the parsley would also come back, but we have not seen any of that yet. I am growing two celery plants in my house from stalks I purchased. They are looking good.

The other day I washed sheets, but resisted putting them out because there was mist in the air. Later the sun came out. I put on my coat, got the sheets in a basket but before I could pick it up I heard sleet against the window. I dutifully took off my coat, read a book, and took them out when the sun was once again shining. Flexibility is the best skill to acquire. Now if I can just remember that.


Paula

No comments: