Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Sharper

Hello,

Finally I bought a new knife sharpener. Many years ago I gave Leroy a nice whet stone. That seemed to work quite well for decades. Leroy does not know what has happened, but in recent months he seems to have lost the art of using the thing. I am totally mystified by that. After reading, from that great source of all wisdom the Internet, about knife sharpeners and the best ones, I finally decided what brand I would look for. I did find this brand at a local store, although it was not the best one listed on the company web site. I still was unsure about spending the money on something that I did not know how it works. Last week when I was in the store it was actually on sale, not a big sale, just five dollars off. I walked around the store talking to myself about the pros and cons of getting this piece of equipment. Such as I want sharper knives, it says “easy to use”, it would get used a lot, it is small so I could find a place to store it, and the clincher if Leroy were here he would already have put it in the cart.

Leroy was indeed happy to see it. He used it almost right away. Now every time I use my favorite knife I exclaim, “It cuts so well.” And mutter in my mind, “Why did I wait so long?”

I had bought a new bread knife the week before. It was marked down to half price, but was still a bit expensive for my cheap standard. I returned it only to see, resting on the shelf one lonely bread knife that was an additional half off the cost so I bought that knife. Each time we use it one of us is likely to comment, “It is amazing how much better and easier this cuts.”

Our old bread knife hardly had any serrated bit left and was an almost completely flat knife. Son Brian complained when he saw it.

We are a lot sharper in this house now. If we can just keep our wits about us all will be fine.


Paula

No comments: