Monday, April 25, 2016

Music

Hello,

Saturday Leroy and I went to the ballet for the first time since living in Bratislava, not that I went frequently while living there. As a resident of the country of Slovakia the arts were a bargain indeed. We miss that. It has perhaps spoiled us for the rest of our lives. The performance on Saturday was too shorter segments from Stravinsky. Leroy grappled with the story line and I just marveled at the strength and flexibility. Some yoga moves were executed at the extreme possible. I had a brief resolve to practice more and challenge myself. Not that I am going to do any of it while on tiptoes. Ouch! We saw and visited with several people in the audience. Guess Leroy and I should get out more.

One problem with that is that we would both like to have more time to ride bikes and we can’t do it all. So this morning I took some time and rode around Cedar Lake which makes a little less than five miles. Baby geese were a delight for the eye.

Yesterday we attended the college bell choir concert. This is just a half mile walk from our house so we both appreciate that. The concert was quite fine with one piece that involved only six students playing multiple bells which did not take so much strength as flexibility and speed of brain and hand. If I remember correctly, each player was responsible for six bells. On the walk home I was a little saddened to see that audiences were much large at the football field and softball fields. Why does watching sports top music? Is it because we are so locked into the idea of competition instead of cooperation, although sports teams do require a certain amount of cooperation within the team? Is it because beauty is not a goal of most of our population? Of course beauty is such a subjective standard.

At any rate Leroy and I enjoyed the performances.


Paula

No comments: