Friday, December 4, 2015

Phone Calls

Hello,

For a non phone user I have spent much of my day on the phone. I spoke with two of our friends from seminary days. We will see both of these couples at different events in the next day or a month from now. Amazing when you know that we have not seen much of them in years. Both of them have retired, so perhaps retirement is an open door to spend more time with people that you enjoy being with.

I also talked with my one living aunt. She only lives an hour and a half away. Why we have not visited, I am not sure. Anyway we will be her area tomorrow so we will visit. Before I pick up the phone to make a call I always wonder, “Will I have anything to say?”

It did not matter with my 90 year old aunt, she started talking right away and I could hardly get a word in to tell her that we wanted to spend a little time with her. She sounded quite pleased. I would guess that I have not seen her in 25 years or more. Would you surmise that I am not so good at keeping family connections?

If I should call you do not say to yourself, “She almost never calls.” Instead think, “I am amazed and pleased that she is calling me.”

If I were the queen you could be quite moved that you are not forgotten. Most of you are remembered, but I just cannot make myself pick up that phone. I suppose you could say that my cost per call is quite high because I use it so seldom.

I am grateful to have two phones so I can keep up with the rare call at home or on the road. Then I can use Skype for people farther afield. It is wonderful to talk with my friend in Slovakia from time
to time. Usually it happens because she makes the effort to connect. I am happy that she does this.

So if you feel like calling me do not fight the urge. I am happy to pick up the phone; I just do not initiate the connection very often.


Paula

No comments: