Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Getting to the bus

Hello,

Brian and I agreed on the time that we would need to leave the house to get me to the bus station at my desired time. Thinking about getting up, I heard Brian go out to walk the dog. Then the dog came in but Brian did not instead a machine roared to life. “Did it snow?” I wondered.

Later Brian reported that he thought it was about three inches deep. We had breakfast, got ready, and got in the car. The small streets had not been plowed yet. The interstate was semi snow covered. Luckily traffic was cautious, but unluckily slow. After a bit Brian commented, “I am not sure that we will get to the station on time.”

It seemed rather likely when we inched our way from one freeway to the other. Ten minutes were required for just that maneuver. After a bit traffic was moving faster. When we were on the downtown streets we had just seven minutes to go. Unluckily we stopped at a red light that was particularly long as it segued through several possibilities for movement from other cars. As we drove to the station I could see buses lined up with four minutes to departure time.

“The bus is still there,” I said as I unbuckled my seatbelt and grabbed the bag that had my book and snacks. Brian got my other small suitcase out of the trunk. I snatched it out of his hand said good bye with hugs. Did not say goodbye to Sophia and dashed into the building.

There was not much business this morning and I joined four other people on the bus. They waited a while for one more person to get on. As the bus was leaving someone else came. The bus stopped to let them on. We crawled out of town so we were thirty minutes late the entire trip. The road was not good much of the way with strong winds so we did not make up any time.
After I was gone, Sophia asked Brian, “Why did Granny have to go?”

“Grandpa was lonely so Granny went to be with him,” Brian told her.

Later Sophia said, “I don’t like Grandpa.”

“Why not?” Brian wanted to know.

“Because Grandpa is lonely,” she told him.

Ah, jealous of grandpa.

Paula

No comments: