Friday, December 25, 2009

Christmas Day

Hello,

“Is that sleet blowing against the house or rain with a lot of wind behind it?” I wondered as I lay in bed.

At 6:00 Leroy got up and looked out the window announcing, “It snowed some. The sidewalk is covered.”

The TV was mined for its wisdom as was the Internet. It looked icy, but crunchy outside. At 7:15 we decided to head out on our 7-8 hour drive to my sister’s house.

After getting gas and navigating slippery streets we went out to the highway that was cleared much better. A bit of moisture was falling on the windshield. The wipers were only able to clear the part that was already warmed by the heater. After four miles it had not improved but gotten worse. “I vote for turning around, I can’t imagine it is really going to get better soon,” I said.

“I am not ready to stop yet,” Leroy said.

More ice on the window, less clear spots on the highway, and almost no traffic, convinced Leroy after one more mile. He turned around and drove cautiously home. Happiness was making it without incident.

I called an 80+ year old woman who had told us that if we were home we should come for dinner. She said, “Come right on over about noon.” The trip to her house was only a little more than two miles, but her back road and lane were liberally coated with ice. When we got there she told us that her dinner of six had now become a dinner for 12. That is hospitality.

Unfortunately in the middle of the afternoon I started to feel queasy. After we got home I chose a lightweight pan as my companion in case the nausea became more serious. Luckily that did not happen and now my abdomen feels better, but I have a slight fever. I am happy to be home.

We still might try to head south on Saturday (I don’t think that is going to happen now.) or Sunday because it is supposed to be a little better on Sunday. Then we will just stay a day longer on the other end and Leroy can work tomorrow instead. It will work out. I am grateful to be safe and warm with the furnace working.

Paula

No comments: