Monday, December 7, 2009

Babysitting

Hello,

Leroy is home complaining about weakness and an intestinal track that does not feel right. At least it is no longer speedily rejecting everything that passes through. He tells me that the driveway is full of three inches of snow with more on the way. I suggested he try to hire the neighbor to use his snow blower on it. It seems to me that could work.

I am in Minnesota with two-year-old granddaughter, Sophia. Her parents have flown off to enjoy a 10th wedding anniversary holiday. In the afternoon that I came, Sophia was running a slight temp. Yesterday it was a little more so we were off to instant care since it was Sunday. The Dr. declared that it seemed most like the common cold.

Last night Sophia did not cry, but talked in her bed. I went in several times to cover her and feel that she was hot. Should I wake her parents and suggest we go back to the Dr.? Should I give her fever reducer? These are not easy questions to answer. I felt that Brian and Jen might cancel their trip if I woke them, but if Sophia were seriously ill I would want to do that. Finally at one in the morning I gave her the medicine. She went to sleep about half an hour later. Finally I drifted off as well.

I heard her parents leave at 3:30 a.m. I then woke up at 6:30 to find that Sophia was still asleep. She finally woke up at 7:30 and appeared to be quite fine. I was pleased to note that she did not act bothered that I was getting her out of bed instead of her parents.

She did ask, “Where is Daddy?”

“He’s on an airplane,” I told her.

“With my mommy,” she replied grinning.

Before she took her nap she told me, “My daddy will get me up.”

“Not today, but Sunday,” I told her realizing that she did not have a clue when Sunday would come to be.

At least today she has had no fever that I can tell. This evening it might come back, but I believe it is just a cold. She has not sneezed so much today.

Responsibilites! Even their dog is subdued. She did not beg me to take her for a walk.

Paula

No comments: