Tuesday, November 10, 2020

Crowned tooth

Hello,

 

On Friday when I was flossing my teeth before bed, I popped the new crown off my back tooth. I got this crown when Leroy was in the hospital in August. That was not so long for it to stay with me. I called the dentist’s office on Saturday, learning that they were not open. I left a message explaining the situation and hoped for a quick response on Monday. They did call a bit after 8:30 and told me they could have me come in at 10:30. I was quite happy to comply. It was not too bad not having that crown protection as long as nothing was put in my mouth. When eating and drinking I had to be very careful to keep everything to one side or I felt some pain back there.

 

On Monday, the dentist said, “I have never had this happen in all my years of practice. Perhaps there was some saliva accidently left under there.” He once told me that he went to dental school 40 years ago, so it has been long experience.

 

I told him, “This is the second time it has happened to me. I was chewing gum then and I have almost never chewed it since. Maybe you are now meeting your first tough case.”

 

My mouth feels so much better now. I think his explanation could be correct. I had noticed that there was some sensitivity to hot and cold on that crown, like it was hitting a nerve. But with all that was going on in our lives, I just tried to be very careful and never complained.

 

Because of the Corona virus numbers, my library is once again closed to the public. We will gather items for people and hand them out the door when they come to pick up. All staff will work alone, with no others in the building. That should keep us safe and yet provide a bit of service.

 

Leroy and I had gotten plane tickets to go to DC for Thanksgiving, hoping that all this would be less. In the last two weeks we had both become quite stressed about numbers so with sadness, we just cancelled. I do feel much more relaxed now in spite of more disease around. At least we are not trying to navigate through public spaces wondering about what is safe. Here we have little contact with others.

 

Paula

No comments: