Sunday, November 15, 2020

Community Garden

Hello,

 

Late morning, I walked to the community garden. The rain had stopped, but the wind was strong. I could stand up, but it blew me a bit sideways from time to time. I picked the street with the lowest number of trees. I found myself looking up to see if any dead branches looked like they could be blown out. I understand the gusts got up to 55 miles per hour. It is so hard to imagine the force of the 140 mph winds that we had in the August derecho. I was not out in that. I was also at work where we were sheltering in the bathroom because it had no windows. It was hard to see the force, although whenever we checked it looked quite strong. I have heard that in Ely where I was working it only got up to 80 to 90 mph. I still feel distressed when I think about Leroy lying on the couch in the living room. In his pain filled state, he did not think it was too bad out. We are so fortunate that a tree did not hit the house. It could have been very bad for him.

 

At the garden I was happy to see that the weeding and cleaning that others did was quite fine. It certainly looked neater. I picked two short sprigs of celery, enough arugula to add to a couple salads, a small amount of short cilantro, and quite a nice amount of Red Russian Kale. I am convinced that others are not using the kale. If I were more ambitious, I would start freezing some of it. Soon it will be too cold even for it to survive.

 

Leroy and I took a walk this afternoon but we stayed away from the park because of the strong wind. One part of the trail is much more open territory and that felt much safer. We even met a bicyclist. How much work they had to do to move forward!

 

Paula

No comments: