Monday, November 30, 2020

Community Garden Again

Hello,

 

One of our walks today was to go to the community garden. I feel sad because I think no one else is going there to get the last of the season greens. Admittedly there are not so many things to harvest. I was able to pick some cilantro that I can use immediately. The stems were quite short which probably protected it from the cold as it snuggled in the leaves. I also got a nice amount of arugula that will add a nice touch to a salad. It is quite tall. I did bring one of the plants home. The taller parts look as if they are struggling. Leroy picked the last of the celery which was only a few short stalks. Then he picked a bag of Red Russian Kale. Someday I will have to go back and just pick a lot of that. I am hoping that my friend who does meals for homeless shelters would be able to use it if she mixes it into some dish or other. There wouldn’t be enough for a dish by itself for the large number of people she feeds. She is quite clever at using what is at hand in new ways and feeding many with the loaves and fishes.

 

Guess I have been a bit daunted when I think about cleaning the kale. I believe in putting it through three waters, one of which has white vinegar in it to kill bacteria.  That cleaning all takes quite a bit of time and energy. Right now, I have quite a bit of time, but I just search out the energy for this task.

 

We have called friends from our past live in the last few days. It is nice to visit with these people who were once more a part of our daily lives. What a blessing all of these cheap/rich phone calls are.

 

Paula

No comments: