Sunday, March 29, 2020

Grains in My Life

Hello,



I saw a list of foods recommended that we all have to get us through a time of no grocery store trips. One group was whole grains. I felt I had that area covered even before this different way of life got started.



A few months ago the local grocery store had, in it’s marked down cart, a number of pound packages of grains. I finally bought all of them. There was green bamboo rice which we have eaten. It was really white rice that somehow had bamboo with it. There were several packages of black barley we like. We still have a pound and a half left. I had never heard of the Greenwheat Freekeh. I like it, however it is not my favorite. Leroy often wants to eat bread and I see no reason to duplicate the wheat in our diet. We still have five pounds of that. When people have talked about hoarding things I have thought of those packages, but I do not feel I am stopping anyone else from buying it.



We have steel cut oats as well as quick cooking regular oatmeal. I have three boxes of the steel cut, but we use one a week. The regular is in a larger box and I have two of those, but I mostly use it for granola. Probably use about half a box a week is the usage for that. So I feel it does not quite fit in the hoarding category.



The rest of the grains are smaller amounts from about two pounds down to a few ounces. They are millet, regular barley, white rice, brown rice and quinoa. I just looked and quinoa is a seed so should not be on this list. I had planned on stocking up a bit more, but the store was a bit low on brown rice so I did not do that.



Now you know some of my secrets of eating just food rather than processed items.



Paula

No comments: