Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Safe Drive

Hello,

Yesterday it was a light mist at noon when I went to work with the temperature just above freezing. At 4:30 my boss, who lives in town, called to ask if either my co-worker or I would like to go home. My co-worker was to stay until 5:00 and I work until 8:00. I went out and checked the surface it did not seem slippery to me. This young person checked the forecast. I suggested she also check the road report. It did not seem that bad. She then went out and checked the sidewalk and the road surface. It did not appear to be the type of stuff that would be hard to drive in. We called our boss back and told her we were going to stay. She told me she would call again and let me know her husband’s report on his trip home which was the same way that I would go, but in the opposite direction. Leroy called me about 5:30 to tell me that he had trouble going up the incline to the garage. He said, “Call me when you leave so I can go out, shovel, and put down some salt.”

At that point I suggested he ask our landlord if they had any sand or outdoor salt as all we had was table salt.

At 6:15 my boss called back to say, “Dustin says it is slippery. Gather your things and I will be there soon so you can go home.” Did you notice she did not ask for my opinion?

I called Leroy before I started home. I had put a blue cloth like thing that we have had for a long time on the front window of the car. It zips in its own bag. Not sure when or why we got it, but we never use it. I cleaned off the rest of the car, tapped the brush against the car, put it on the back seat, pulled off this blue thing and hopped in the car. That blue thing really worked. It was a little hard to move as the snow was wet and heavy, but it was much faster than using the brush.

I drove at a snail’s pace most of the way home. At that time almost no one was going my way so my tracks were not as open as they weaving towards me. If there had been a big gap in traffic I might have used that lane, but I really had no trouble at all for which I am grateful.

It was wonderful to pull into the alley and see both Clark and Leroy out there shoveling and a clear ramp for me to navigate.


Paula

No comments: