Friday, April 25, 2014

Plant lady

Hello,

I must be getting a reputation as a plant lady. As we were leaving the church on Easter, one woman called out to me, “Take any of the plants that you want. Many will surely be left.”

I figured I would wait to see what might be left in a couple weeks. Today, however the church secretary called me. There were twelve tulips and two begonias that were not up to standard. I went to get some of those. I learned that some others did want some of the tulips. I brought home five of them. One was good enough to bring in the house. The rest I will see if I can plant around the house here. The begonias turned out to be azaleas. For some reason all of the blossoms had just died. Perhaps that is because they were neglected. I did bring them home too because I thought they might be a nice bush for a while. We have some space by our garage that could accept them.

I am excited to get going on gardening. I bought some red cabbage plants, broccoli, and Brussels sprouts. It is great to have new beginnings. Leroy planted onion sets along with some other seeds in our four by four raised bed garden. Our landlords like it so much that they bought one to balance it out on the other side and decided to expand both and bought one more for each side. That will mean less mowing. Especially the first year I suspect there will not be many weeds so it should be low maintenance. We bought top soil that I figure should be weed free.

I had to stop myself from buying more things. Many of the perennials look so good. Maybe someday I will live in my own house so I can put some things in.

Paula


Ps here are two pictures of my poinsettias.



No comments: