Monday, April 7, 2014

More on Cookies

Hello,

Miriam called to tell me that I should rethink taking those cookies to any public gathering. She then informed me that she had just made some delicious chocolate chip cookies. In my heart I know those would be more accepted, but I am not ready to go there.

I called her back to tell her that I do not eat chocolate and seldom have I felt that bothered anyone in their offerings to the public. So I figured that I could just do it. Then Miriam informed that she had been making a joke. We talked one more time in which she told me that she had tried to make peanut butter cookies with real peanut butter and not from the partial sugar and oil kind that is so popular in US grocery stores. It sounded much like mine had with just making crumbles. Guess those recipes depend on sugar and oil from many sources.

In another phone call Miriam learned that about six or seven other people were bringing cookies and this meeting might have 70 in attendance. Then she figured it was fine for me to bring whatever as people would have other choices. Maybe I will provide an additional choice for someone more like me in baking style.

When did taste become king rather than health? I remember my mother being proud of the fact that she did not stint on sugar. When did sugar become the big important ingredient? Is it because no one really checked nutritional things? From articles I have been reading recently the same things have happened to our fruits. They have been bred for sweetness disregarding nutrition; consequently we get less food value from most modern apple varieties.


Paula

No comments: