Monday, February 25, 2013

Garden Dreams


Hello,

“Are we going to start seeds inside?” Leroy asked. He has a habit of asking questions in the plural; seldom does he want to know, “Are you…” Is this because he does not want a share in the decision? Does he want to appear polite? Or is it perhaps the royal we with a hint of an answer to come? After 41 years I have become impatient with this line of questioning. So frequently I now reply, “Just what are WE going to do? Do WE have any ideas?”

As for the garden question, I finally did say yes that I had thought about starting some seeds inside. The problem is that most of our windows are already occupied by vigorous house plants who might not want to cede space for any usurpers. There are just two windows in the apartment that have no green residents. One window is in the hall stairwell and not accommodating to any type of sunbathing. The other is in the kitchen with the dryer sitting in front of it. I do not especially want to use that space because I use the dryer for a sort of cooking landing pad. Then when I use the dryer, because it gets so hot, I must move anything delicate to another space. However spring is coming and soon I will hang clothes outside once again. Although that hanging might need to wait until the trees get leaves to protect the clothes from random bird poop.

I am dreaming of a garden that produces wonderful flavor without work or marauding squirrels. For sure, I will not plant tomatoes close to the house as I know those critters just helped themselves at will. I say, “Eat walnuts for heaven’s sake.”

 There is a neighborhood garden spot that is a good possibility. Or I wondered about helping out an older man in Ely. Are my three times weekly trips good enough to make it work? Perhaps when it is nice Leroy and I could both ride down on our bikes and weed. Dreams, dreams!

Paula

No comments: