Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Changes


Hello,

Sometimes it seems that there aren’t so many changes, but then the weather states otherwise. I walked my two Lenten miles yesterday in the pleasant warmth. It was almost too warm in the layers I had on, but I did not want to carry anything so kept them on. As I drove into Ely for work, I noticed the bank clock/thermometer flashed 48 degrees. Wow, that is higher than I had realized. After about half of my work day people started to come in and tell me how windy and cold it was becoming. By the time I went home the bank could only muster up 24 degrees. I wasn’t surprised as there was a smattering of ice on the car from the light afternoon rain. The roads were dry so that was not a problem, but I noticed the wind pushing at me as I drove around the curve up on the interstate. It was windy by the house, but we are not in a wind tunnel here. This morning when we woke Leroy commented on the roar outside in the distance and declared, “That is the wind.” It is odd because the wind does not rattle the windows, but apparently is rattling someone else’s.

Our landlords have been gone for the weekend. We wonder if they had set the temperature on hold with the overnight temperature rather than run program as it has gotten quite cool, especially in the evenings. I suppose I could have gone down and checked the temp. Even without a key we can always go down there with the second set of stairs being our emergency escape route into their living space. I did not want to do that so we used our space heaters, added clothes, throws, and sighed blissfully when we got under the down comforter to sleep.

The kitchen has always been the coolest spot in the house or if summer, the warmest. I put all the thermometers in there and learned that it is at least 63 or possibly 60 in there. Later this morning I noticed that the heat register had accidently been closed. It will be better now. Our landlords were to have returned late last night, but I have not heard a sound down there so I do wonder if that had happened. We will know by the heat this evening.

Paula

No comments: