Sunday, February 17, 2013

Being a Tourist


Hello,

There are some perks because Leroy works at the museum. He gets a free family membership. It is perhaps ironic that even if he earned more at some other job we might not have bought this membership. With it in hand and paid for we are inclined to go to all of the opportunities that are available. Yesterday it was to listen to talks from two guys who were are about our ages. One of them managed to get art out of Czechoslovakia. Most of it is modern or abstract art. I have to confess that I am not especially tuned into this type of art, but I am glad that some are aware of the value of it. Apparently the communist government was very much against any art that did not show their system working well at that time. It was also more realistic in nature. At first this guy smuggled out quite a lot of the pieces, but later he was given permission, just why, he was not sure. He also managed to help many of the artists.

The second talk and display was of photographs taken during Prague Spring uprising or confrontation. His camera was taken at one point by a Soviet soldier, but in the confusion he was able to snatch it back. Some of his pictures were sold to the news services so you might have seen them. It has only been in the last few years that he has many of these printed up to be displayed in various venues.

Both of their adventures make me so aware that I lived such a quiet young life. I thought going to college was quite a lot of adventure. It was about all I could handle.

On a totally different subject: At church a girl, whom I do not know, complimented me on my skirt telling me how pretty it was. Both of Miriam’s girls also liked this skirt. Now I would have thought it was an old lady skirt. Maybe it appeals to the old and the young?

Paula

No comments: