Friday, February 22, 2013

Playing in the snow


Hello,

Last night when we went to bed it was quite light in the room from the reflection of the lights on the fluffy snow. This morning when the sun was hiding somewhere behind the clouds it seemed almost dimmer. Leroy used the shovel on his way out to the garage so he did not track in the pristine snow. In spite of no bright sun it was beautiful.

I thought about using the cross country skis, making snow angels, snow bunnies, and snow people. None of that fun stuff happened, but I did manage to shovel snow for half an hour, walk over a mile, buy some produce, walk home with the pounds on my back, wash two loads of clothes, and clean up a honey spill that was the result of carelessly pushing a cart into the plastic bottle causing honey to ooze out the top. It seems to me, at age 65, I should have already learned about such things.

It lifts my spirits to look out on all the beauty. I am certainly not ready to move to a snowless area. I would miss all of this. In spite of about five inches of snow Leroy’s drive to work was not difficult as it is in the city and flat.

Last night Leroy and I took a walk as the snow was coming down. Had the kids been at home we would have been out there playing in the snow. I guess I need some kids to prod me along for fun.

As I was shoveling a guy came up and wanted to know if I would hire him to shovel. I declined and proceeded to ask him how he was doing. He replied, “No one wants to hire a 16 year old.” I suspect it is not his age that is stopping people. I actually like to shovel. It is part of our rent agreement except for the area by our garage. So I am going above and beyond what is necessary. Our land lord was gone much of the day. He thanked me for making a path and making him legal with cleared walks. There is always something good that we can do in this world. I must remember to look for the opportunities. There are different ways of playing in the snow.

Paula

No comments: