Sunday, February 24, 2013

Taxes and walking


Hello,

Leroy and I do not do taxes together even though that is how we started the first year we were married. He had been taking his taxes someplace to be done. I could not see doing that since it was the simple form and I had always done my own. It was simple at that point. I could not see paying anyone to do this easy job. So we tried doing them together. I rather quickly felt that this was not a good togetherness project. I believe Leroy felt he should do them, maybe some kind of male thing after I had declared them easy. When he was in the parish it was not so easy, but he steamed and snorted through them most years. I few years he did have some help getting the job done. Now I declared it should be much easier since he was no longer in the ministry.

Last weekend he worked on them, but it would have been hair-raising if he had had enough hair to raise. He mostly stormed around and declared that I should do them. “I will do them, but at this point in time I no longer have the slightest idea of how to do them so you will have to tell me what to do,” I told him.

He called his daughters, can’t remember why son was not included in this talk. The recommendation was that he should look for some free help. Later in the week he finished the federal forms. Today we went up to H&R block for their free second look. All was good except for one small thing that cost us another $100. Today those forms have been sent off. Now it will be on to the state taxes. If those had been done the kind person would have looked at them too. Leroy had the idea that they would only check the federal forms. What a relief to get to this less intense point in life. The young woman who helped us commented that she loved doing the tax help because she so likes helping people. I had not realized this was a helping profession.

In addition to walking the mile to and from church we walked the half mile to this tax help office. So I logged three miles today. It was a great day for walking, cool but pleasant temperatures with the cheery sun.

Paula

No comments: