Sunday, February 3, 2013

Leroy's Birthday


Hello,

After I heard Leroy’s breath turn to the awake mode, “Time?” I asked even though the glow of streetlight coming in the window indicated the sun was still in bed, perhaps for a long time.

“5:30,” he replied since the clock is closest to his head. I can see it, but I have to lift my head and squint making a guess at what I am seeing. Because of the room arrangement it is best to have the clock near him even though he has the farther seeing eyes.

“Time,” I asked again later.

It was three minutes before six so I hoped out of bed, grabbed the gift bags (No wrapping for this chick.), slipped back in bed, and sang Happy Birthday.

The first gift was a pair of slippers. They looked good and Leroy was pleased until he tried them on. “The left one is a little small,” he said and seeing my disappointment added, “But maybe if I take my socks off.”

That made it wearable. I had been concerned about them being too large since they supposedly fit 9.5-10.5 and Leroy wears 9.5. Who can explain that? Their pre-sale cost was enough that they should have been right. I guess these are warmer weather slippers.

Then he opened the LED camp light. Excitement showed on his face as he leaped (Can you imagine Leroy leaping?) out of bed to get some batteries. The light was dim. Oh, more disappointment! Then he decided that maybe the batteries need charging.

I had also gotten a Marzipan Stollen thinking that would do instead of a cake or pie. Neither of us is crazy about marzipan, but we both like a bit of Stollen. I could see Leroy’s face fall when he heard that I was not going to make a pie. He assured me that it was ok, but I caught that glimpse of the truth. Because of the ingredients available in the house I have agreed to make an apple crisp this afternoon. I no longer truly want to make a pie, too much oil.

Ah, life! Even when I think it will be perfect it has a few detours. I am going back in my anti buying gift hole. But wait, the lantern turned out to be bright and great once the batteries were charged. We both like the marzipan Stollen better than expected. I slipped a note to the choir director that it was Leroy’s birthday so the choir sang happy birthday. He was pleased with that. Then some groups of grandchildren called singing happy birthday so it was a good day.

Paula

No comments: