Friday, October 19, 2012

Reading


Hello,

I gathered six children’s books and a little courage to go read to second graders. Even though I often used to read to this age I was not sure I remembered just what was needed. My self talk is more discouraging than is good. Such as would it be too old, too young, or might they have heard it all before and be bored.

When I got to the room about two minutes early they were not quite ready for me. I had forgotten how approachable people are when you are in second grade. Before I could get to reading I was relaxed and at home as child after child came up and wanted to know if someone in the room were my son or daughter. One thought I might be a grandmother. Perhaps it was the girl who told me, “My grandmother has hair like yours.”

“Is it curly?” I wanted to know.

“Yes, but it is stiff and feels funny,” she said.

“Well feel my hair and tell me how it feels,” I said as I bent my head down.

“It feels soft,” she said.

Personally I think that was good.

I read an older book, Strega Nona. When asked, only a couple kids raised their hands as having heard it before. I was pleased as I had hoped that the book age would mean lack of exposure. I believe they were with me all the way. I certainly felt caught up in their anticipation. That book and my introduction of myself took all the time, but the teacher indicated that I might read another. So I choose a non-fiction book about giraffes. They were also solidly locked into that book as well. They learned many interesting facts about giraffes. Children are indeed eager to learn. There is hope for the future.

What a gift these children gave me with their interest, excitement, and attention.

Paula

No comments: