Thursday, October 11, 2012

Driving


Hello,

Today while on my way to work, I saw flashing emergency lights. In this three lane section of interstate it appeared to be in the far left lane. I was in the middle lane. I slowed and moved into the right lane. A truck in the right lane slowed and pulled off the road. I think there was no one else in the left lane, but others in the other lanes just kept moving at normal speed. Is no longer requested that you pull over to the right when there are police or emergency vehicles moving through the area?

Tonight coming home I pulled onto the two lane road, grateful for the semi that moved over into the left lane so I could get in easily as could the cars in front and behind me. In a short distance another street merges onto this road. It had numerous cars coming down the ramp curve. I stayed in my lane because I was going to merge onto that lane to proceed on to the interstate. Meanwhile the semi wanted to get into the right lane and perform the same maneuver that I was attempting. I managed to slide in between two cars. The semi could not find a place large enough so he came almost to a stop in the end of the space where he could turn. The car in front of me stopped and let him in. I had been thinking of doing that, but wondered if it was a safe thing to do as there were a number of cars behind who also needed to stop. It all worked out, but it certainly can be tricky.

I took my 41 year old Christmas cactus to the Ely library today. It was a job. Leroy forgot to help me get it in the car. The hardest part is carrying it down the fifteen steps. It is a bit heavy, but the real difficultly is the angle that it must be carried at so as not to squash the leaves. I made it with breaking off only one small piece. I am pleased. We will see if the director likes it there. She said she would, but it is big and takes up a bit of space. I certainly have more room around here with only eleven plants in the house.

Paula

No comments: