Sunday, July 24, 2011

The Weekend

Hello,

My high school class reunion was Saturday night. Since it is only a three hour drive we decided to go there and just come home very late. It may be only, but Leroy says if it is three hours again we will stay in a motel. He is tired.

I was moving slowly Saturday morning thinking about the things I wanted to get done when the phone rang. “Hello,” my cousin from Colorado said, “Are you ready to have some company for a couple hours.”

After thinking briefly about how to get everything done, I replied, “Sure, see you in a bit.”

I had planned on primping, after all I wanted to look as good as I could before leaving for this reunion. I had not yet taken a shower as I figured I would do that closer to leaving time giving my her less time to curl tightly. I raced upstairs, showered, put on some make up, ran around the house picking the odd thing lying around, and mentally checked lunch possibilities.

I was quite calm and composed when I opened the door to invite Sharon in. This cousin is the closest in age to me of all my 32 cousins. We lived so far apart that we do not know each other very well. It was fun to visit. Up front I told her that Leroy and I needed to leave at 1:30. Leroy and I were singing on Sunday with another couple and we were practicing at that time.

Leroy prepared a light lunch for us so we could talk more. This cousin seems to be the keeper of the family connections. I was amazed at how many of us she has kept in contact with through the years. It is especially interesting because their family has always, in my memory lived apart from the rest of the family. We would only see them once a year, if that often, when they revisited the Midwest. Maybe she has that visiting habit because she has connected with relatives all around the country.

Paula

No comments: