Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Hot Sleeping

Hello,

I do not like to use air conditioning, however these days it is on most of the time as there is no other reliable heat relief. In the day time I can tolerate 78 or 80 degrees in the house, especially if I run a fan and am not moving too quickly.

However that temperature does not cool the upstairs where our beds spend all their time. The temperature actually goes up to 87 degrees. That means that just lying in bed cause copious sweating. There is a ceiling fan in our bedroom, but I do not like to have so much air moving over me. Leroy thinks it is great.

While Brian and Jen were here we turned the temperature down to 72 degrees. It is ok to do that when we have guests, but I have a difficult time justifying that use of the world’s energy to cool this house so that two people can sleep comfortably. What to do?

We bought a window fan. When the nights were still significantly cooler we were able to drop the temperature upstairs that way. That is no longer a satisfactory option as even the nights are heating up. We have slept on the living room floor on the mattress that goes with our now uncomfortable for sleeping, sleeper sofa. That was ok for two nights. Surely, we thought it was not so bad upstairs so we again slept in the bedroom with the fan on low. Next we slept on the blow up mattress one night. Then last night we switched sides on the upstairs bed because my side seemed to have more air movement than Leroy’s with the fan on medium. It was ok to sleep, but not totally comfortable. I personally like the winter when I can turn the heat down to 60 and pile on the covers. I am looking forward to that freezer season.

We have also discussed moving the mattress from the spare bed to the living room as it is much lighter and easer to move than ours would be. It would certainly be the most comfortable when compared to the sofa mattress or the blow up mattress.

I really can not complain too much because we do have the option of coolness, there are those in the world who do not. The coolness is just not where I want it to be. Maybe we should buy a futon and put it in the finished basement. The question is what do we do with it when we move?

Paula

No comments: