Monday, July 11, 2011

Random thoughts

Hello,

There is a big new picture window in the living room. I did not see them wash it, but it is so clean almost you could believe you are outdoors. The problem is that the other two windows in this room looked dull and filmy, that is no longer true because I washed them Saturday with a little help from Leroy. I am not sure why I do not wash windows more frequently since I so like the result. I suspect part of it is that there is the other side of the window. One surface seems enough to do on any object and what is worse is that sometimes it is necessary to retouch up the first side. Such a bother! There are also new windows in the finished section of the basement. Luckily here there are no old windows requiring further attention to come up to the standard of the new.

While walking in a park in Minnesota I saw a woman picking what looked like random leaves. When I reached her I asked about her purpose for those leaves. In a heavily accented reply she told/demonstrated that she was going to roll them around some filling. I then learned that she was picking grape leaves. Apparently she was quite particular as she only picked a few here and there, but they were quite abundant so her bag was getting full. She explained that she would put them in the freezer and use them later. I could not identify the accent, but the only culture I know that uses grape leaves in such a manner is Greek.

I am pleased to say that Leroy and I have again been eating lettuce from the garden. It seems the deer just pruned it at bit. There are two bags in the refrigerator since I did not want them to come back and again get it before I had a chance. I will pick some more today and that might be the end of edible lettuce as this heat wave has been quite long and lettuce prefers coolness.

Paula

No comments: