Thursday, July 7, 2011

More Garden Work

Hello,

This morning all radishes were dug. About half were thrown on the discard pile. The rest were de-stemmed and washed. Some of them are bigger radishes than I have ever eaten. This was certainly a variety package.

Even though we had more rain than required in the last month, watering seems to be next on the agenda. It is hot and dry. I am so happy to have gotten grass on the garden as it is no doubt protecting it from the worst effects of the drying.

July 7, 2011

Somehow I did not finish this letter before Leroy came home to ride our bikes down to the library. It was a hot day to go, but movies were due and we do not like to pay the fine. We ride well with something pushing us to do it. It was great to feel the breeze zooming down the hill, well, maybe not zooming, but going over 20 mph. Now coming back up at one point the computer read 5 mph. I was happy just to be able to keep moving. It is a thrill to reach the top.

Our neighbor mowed her lawn yesterday so I could collect more grass. The flower bed in back is half covered. I know that many people prefer the appearance of wood mulch, but I like the idea of the grass that eventually decomposes and contributes to the soil health.

The deer have not been eating the marigolds and that makes me happy. They come by periodically and trim the perennials that seem to be their favorite. Sometimes they step on other flowers such as the geraniums even though they have not eaten them either. I am pleased with the overall appearance of the flowerbed. I have gotten much joy from those plants. Many times in the spring I wonder if I should spend money on bedding plants, but the return of pleasure is great.

Paula

No comments: