Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Love Hate Relationship

Hello,

My emotions swing wildly when encountering this animal. In the winter I am all sympathetic and warm, thinking the deer look so terrific against the white snow. It is possible to know them as a friend who occasionally comes to visit. Spring was a fairly warm friendly time as well because no plants were big enough to attract with the sweet smell of a possible lunch.

Now, however, it is another matter. After they pruned the lettuce I was quite negative and on the look out so I could chase them out of the yard if necessary. They must have sensed the inhospitable nature of my regard because they were not seen again for quite some time.

When I again saw some in the park it was to note their beauty and gracefulness as they foraged among the trees. Just three days ago I noticed that my hanging basket that has never had any growth on the lower edges was producing buds. The next morning Leroy announced that the deer had eaten off the perennials in that garden. I looked and those marauders had clipped off all the buds on the hanging plant, stepped on and broken a large branch of a marigold, as well as eaten some of the flowers on the butterfly plant.

Last night I saw a young velvet antlered buck out under the apple tree. With an eye to protecting my territory, I confronted him. He looked up when I waved my arms, noticed me come closer, jumped when I did, and wandered off along the corn field when I was much too close. He did have an interesting face, but I would rather see it in some other place.

This afternoon I was walking in the park when I saw movement back in the trees. Soon I could see three fawns sporting their rows of spots. They saw me, but apparently mom had already told them that I was not a threat and so could be ignored. Well not ignored completely, but not feared. These guys were a cute bunch and quite adorable.

When I was growing up on the farm we hardly ever saw a deer. They were regarded with reverence and respect. Usually with people the more I get to know them, the better I like them. With deer it seems the opposite effect is taking place.

At least they have not trimmed off my tomatoes as a neighbor told me they have done at her house. Since she lives on the other side of the park we think it is the same deer traveling around. Seems to me they should just eat to their hearts content in the corn field, but I guess they follow the USDA dictum to eat a variety of foods.

Paula

No comments: