Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Singing in church

Hello,

In spite of a short night with much heat and excitement, Leroy and I, along with another couple sang in church. It went surprisingly well. Some people even told the guy that we should all sing together again before Leroy and I leave. I am trying to get that organized.

This hymn was a bit jazzy/gospel and I think we added to the effect. Before the execution, we practiced once with me playing and twice with our accompanist. At no time when we practiced did we ever manage to go through it without stopping or making some very obvious mistakes. I was impressed with the results as I would not have bet any money on a positive outcome.

I have to tell you too that most of the time I do not like how Leroy sings. It is evident to me that he had not had music lessons as a child. But for some reason he is such a gutsy singer. I suspect it is because he does not know what he is doing wrong. In the end I just sang incorrectly in places because none of the other three were joining me in the printed version. Since none of our hearers knew it, it all sounded confident and good. Guess that is how we get through life.

People will think I am just used to singing all the time as I sang in a group the Sunday before and will again. I am also trying to get up my courage to sing a solo one week. I love hiding behind other singers so that is quite scary to me.

I did play the organ postlude as the person who was the substitute pianist/organist did not have time to get all of the music figured out as he had been gone the entire week. It was fine to do that, but a bit more difficult since I did not know he would want this until Saturday afternoon just before Leroy and I left of the HS reunion. Then there was no time to practice. I did play my selection through once before church, but that was it. As you might imagine I grabbed something that I had played before although it had been at least three years.

Paula

No comments: