Thursday, April 7, 2011

Flying to Utah and Back

Hello,

Flying was uneventful if illogical. For instance, on my trip out I flew from Moline to Minneapolis then to Salt Lake. On the return trip, I watched on the map as I flew over northern Iowa to head on to Detroit and back to Moline. Certainly the shortest distance between two points is a straight line, however when money is thrown into the mix it is skewed in the air. In addition there are no direct flights so it means a stop somewhere, but it bothers my logical mind that it is not in a westerly direction. I remember when I was in college and my roommate would fly home. Her flights made no sense to a land locked girl from the farm. Now at least know that I am following a time worn pattern.

My first plane had only about ten people on it even though it could have held more than 45. As a result I got seconds on the complimentary food as did the rest of my fellow travelers. Generally I do not take treats to my grandchildren, but this time unknown or thought out by me, I had treats. The girls discovered them in my bag when they were helping me unpack. With cries of delight they asked, “Oh Granny is this for me?”

It all worked out because I had two packs of peanuts, a package of two cookies and two granola bars. Sometimes I appear more generous than I am as I hand out things that I did not earn or ask for in particular.

Just a note on changed vocabulary on the airline turbulence is now talked about as rough air. In the past I have heard it referred to has potholes in the sky. Is that all less threatening than turbulence?

I was happy to have little rough air and the plane stayed in one piece at all times.

Paula

No comments: