Sunday, April 24, 2011

Bike Ride

Hello,

Yesterday I took my first bike ride downtown. It was a nice day and the Mississippi is to crest today so we wanted to see the high water. As always the ride down was a breeze as we flew downhill. The water did not look as threatening as it might. Most of the land next to the river is a pedestrian walk. There are a couple buildings close. One of them is elevated a bit and the other was barricaded with sandbags. Hopefully that will be enough to protect it. The water is about five feet above flood stage. The worst record here was ten feet above. That year the railroad bridge was closed and I could see why as the water seemed to be about a foot or two below. Perhaps it was more than that. We were standing a distance away. I have included a link to those pictures. https://picasaweb.google.com/psbradway/20110424?authkey=Gv1sRgCNPi2q6xwefEgAE#


Biking back up the hill required energy. I was ahead of Leroy when we started up. Besides that I was in a higher gear and I managed to shift smoothly so I did not lose any momentum, consequently I stayed ahead of him. I watched him a bit anxiously in my rearview mirror to see if he seemed to be in trouble. Because he kept coming so did I. It is so much harder to start up again on the hill. He said a the top when I really slowed for him, “I just could not get up any speed to catch you.”

That helps him to know what I felt like most of the time last summer when I was a block or more behind him. Once the steeper grade starts there is just no hope of catch up, survival requires all my energy.

I am also including a link for some more pictures of Logan. In one of them he is getting a bath. Jen’s mother had the suggestion of using a warm wet cloth diaper to keep him warm. It was obvious that he tolerated his bath very well. I hate to think of how many crying baby baths I have given over the course of raising three children. Such a simple solution that was in my command, but illusive because I did not think of such a thing!
https://picasaweb.google.com/psbradway/April2011LoganSophia?authkey=Gv1sRgCPKV_fzJlJTHUQ#

Paula

No comments: